History of 150 City of Oxford

Formation and Early Years

In May 1939 permission had been given for the formation of No 150 (1Oxford) Squadron of the

Air Defence Cadet Corps and the Squadron was officially opened in July 1939.

After its formation  150

Squadron quickly grew from strength to strength and by the end of 1939 the squadron boasted over 100 cadets with ages ranging from 15 to 18 with over 50 boys on a waiting list. They came from all over the city and further a field, 4 cadets cycled from Woodstock each parade evening in all weathers. This was typical of the keenness of the cadets. Each lad paid six pence (2'/p) per week subscriptions. The January 1940 edition of The Air Defence Cadet Corps Gazette notes '.. although a late starter, 150 Squadron is one of the most progressive  in the country to-day'

Formation picture

In August 1939 cadets of the squadron were asked to volunteer as messengers during the evacuation of children from London to Oxford at the beginning of the Second World War. Volunteers (about 40 cadets) were instructed that 'When on duty,  cadets should appear in uniform with gas masks and,  if possible,  with bicycles.'

1st Annual Inspection

​On the 8" of Dec 1939 the squadron had its first Annual Inspection with the Reviewing Officer being

His Grace the Duke of Marlborough

1st Parade

The first formal public parade for the Squadron was at the St. George's day service held in Oxford on 28 April  1940.  The parade headed  by the newly formed Trumpet Band also included  100  Sea Cadets.

During the lead up to WWII over 200 squadrons were formed throughout the country and all were run on mainly through public funds. The President  of 150 Squadron ADCC launched an appeal to the citizens, neighbours and friends of Oxford for funds to maintain the Squadron and increase the range of activities. The principle of a Squadron being supported by local citizens still applies today.

On Sunday 7"July  1940, Lord Nuffield presented the Squadron  with its first Standard. The Standard was a gift from Mr J H Brooks, the principle and members of staff of the School of Technology and Arts and Commerce. It was worked on by the Oxford High School for Girls

Presentation of first Standard
1941 news article

From the 22"  of September the Squadron was on recruiting parades at the Regal and Ritz Cinema's and it continues to recruit from the youngsters of the City today. The first anniversary  of the Battle of Britain saw further recruiting by both the Royal Air Force Association  and the Squadron in Oxford.

 

During November  1940 the squadron was again paraded in the city this time attending the Remembrance Service at Christ Church Cathedral  on the 2nd and one week later on the 8th ttending a church parade with the Girls Training Corps which had only just formed.

 

 

The Air Training Corps as a whole became extremely popular with the youth of the day, far more so than anybody could have imagined  at the time,  and the Oxford and District area proved no different as the following newspaper  cutting from the Oxford Mail shows

1941 saw the Air Defence Cadet Corps reformed as the Air Training Corps.

2nd Year Anniversary

The Air Training  Corps as a whole became  extremely popular with the youth of the day, far more so than anybody could have imagined at the time, and the Oxford and District area proved no different  as the following newspaper cutting from the Oxford Mail shows. Note the mention of some of Oxfordshire's current squadrons as well as many that no longer exist.

By the 5"anniversary of the Squadron,  some 70 cadets had joined  the Royal Air Force as Aircrew,  49 as Ground  Crew and 28 had entered other services.

During  1944 four ex-cadets were received honours,  Petty Officer Kirtland  awarded the DFC,

By the 5"anniversary  of the Squadron,  some 70 cadets had joined  the Royal Air Force as Aircrew, 49 as Ground  Crew and 28 had entered other services.

 

During  1944  four ex-cadets were received honours, Petty Officer Ki rtland awarded the DFC,  Flight Sergeant W illis the DFM,  M arine Pat Churchill  (who became the only  Cadet to be awarded the Croix de Guerre) and Jim Goodenham  from the ADCC days, were both mentioned  in despatches

The Middle Years

 

Unfortunatly, following WWII little is recorded of the history of the Squadron until 1962 when the Squadron formed the guard of honour at St Clement Danes (the Royal  Air Force) Church in London for the presentation of the Air Training Corps Banner by His Royal Highness the Duke of Edinburgh, Air Commodore-in-Chief .

 

That same year the cadets won 6 individual medals at annual camp held at RAF Halton.

 

The local branch of RAFA adopted the squadron on 30"January  1967 and we have had close links ever since,  with members serving on the Civilian Committee.

 

During the 1980's cadets from the squadron attended various annual camps at many RAF stations over the years gaining awards at RAF Wyton, Cadet Young awarded the Lilian Pointer Cup, Salisbury Plain where the squadron won the trophy for best squadron, RAF Swanton Morley where 3 girls from the Squadron jointly became Cadets of the month and Cadet Manning won the Lillian Pointer cup for the squadron again. During 1988 Cadet Warrant Officer Martin Borbone and Cadet

Warrant Officer Jeremy Slatter achieved Duke of Edinburgh Gold Awards and Cadet Cloke was Best

Cadet.

 

Another great achiever from No 150 (City of Oxford) Squadron is Cadet Flight Sergeant and now

Air Vice-Marshall Phipps who entered the RAF as an Airman.

Roll Call of Commanding Officers

 

150 (1st Oxford) Air Defence  Cadet Corps

1939  - FIt Lt I. Deane  Jones

150 (City of Oxford) Air Training Corps

1941 - FIt Lt I. DeaneJones

1946 - FIt Lt R. Tull

1947 - Fg  Off E. Pargeter

1951 - FIt  Lt Saunders 

1953 - Fg Off Martin 

1960 - FIt Lt J.  Dunford

1975 - FIt Lt Griffin

1978 - FIt Lt Kibble-White

1985 - FIt Lt C.  Beardlsley

1995 - FIt Lt R Garwood

1999 - FIt Lt P.  Looker

2001 - FIt Lt M.  Levett

2003 - FIt Lt A. Cepelak

2004 - FIt Lt M.  Levett

2019 - Fg Off H Forbes-Forsyth

2210 Cowley Sqn

Formed  1950 as  150  (Blackbird Leys)  DF

1950 - FIt Lt Wakeford

1951 - FIt Lt P.  Audley-Miller

1955 - FIt Lt Saunders

 

Closed  and Amalgamated with  150 Sqn - 1/1/1959

1973  - Reopened as 150Df

1975  - back to 2210  Sqn